6/8/12

Birdcraft - Sculpture / Chimney Swift Habitat



 Birdcraft, my installation at the Stevens Point Sculpture Park. This project was created with the intent of exploring the aesthetic possibilities of constructed chimney swift towers and to raise awareness about the bird. For more information about the chimney swift look at  http://www.chimneyswifts.org/  and  http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chimney_Swift/lifehistory.
A big thanks goes to the Aldo Leopold Audubon Society and the Stevens Point Sculpture Park for giving me the chance to build this!
While exploring human interaction with wilderness and wildlife, my work often aims to speak the language of the natural world. I attempt this by using found materials or imitating visual cues from the landscape. With this piece, I take another step in that direction by seeking not only to speak the language, but to physically interact with the natural world by creating a functioning habitat for the chimney swift.


mikegodellgmail.com