11/16/11

Sculpture / Chimney Swift Tower

Yesterday, I submitted a proposal to build a functional sculpture / chimney swift tower at the Stevens Point Sculpture Park. The chimney swift is a bird that is rapidly disappearing due to habitat loss. Here's a little sneak peak of what I came up with.


It's basically a large, 12 foot tall vessel constructed with wood strips with a nesting chamber hidden inside.


Accompanying Artist’s statement:

While exploring human interaction with wilderness and wildlife, my work often aims to speak the language of the natural world. I attempt this by using found materials or imitating visual cues from the landscape. With this piece, I take another step in that direction by seeking not only to speak the language, but to physically interact with the natural world by creating a functioning habitat for the chimney swift.


☆★☆UPDATE:
For images of the completed sculpture look here - http://mikegodell.blogspot.com/p/objects.html


mikegodellgmail.com